"They have Lab puppies at the Humane Society," he said. "Black lab mixes."
I looked at the clock, knowing the place opened at 11am, and that the line when they have puppies starts at least an hour earlier. It was 9:15.
"You'd better go shower," I said.
It didn't take us long to get ready, including prepping a mug of hot coffee for Husband (I'm still off caffeine for Baby Girl) and grabbing an umbrella. (The day's forecast? Rain Rain Rain Rain... And did I mention that hour-long wait line was outdoors?) We jumped in my car and made it there by 10:05.
The line had already started.
We were third in line, which gave us plenty of time to strike up some conversation with the people around us (puppy shopper #4 arrived onl 1-2 min after us), and to think over the decision. How would we know if it was the right dog for us? Were we taking on a challenge that was too big for 2 full-time workers (one of whom was about to reach Trimester 3)?
As is often the case in the "major life decisions" arena, I did a lot of silent praying that morning. In general, I've tried to adopt an approach where I pray (continually), talk about it with Husband (as much as he can bear...I have a lot of thoughts), and then leave the final decision-making between Husband and God. (BTW, so far they're an unbeatable team.) Seeing husband's conviction that this is right for us is very reassuring-- and has strengthened me to make several life-directing decisions thus far that I may otherwise still be contemplating.
And when it comes to a puppy... We're waaaay past contemplating.
Paisley is a now ten-week-old Black Lab/Bassett Hound/Australian Shepherd mix. She is mostly black, with a little white spot on her nose & chin, a white stipe down the center of her chest, some black and white on three paws, and the tiniest bit of white on the tip of her tail. To quote a favorite children's book: She's worse than cute. She's adorable.
If I thought life was moving fast before Paisley, I had no idea. She's great practice for life with a baby-- up in the night, needing constant help. And now I think I understand why Husband thought we needed this girl in the house. I'm super impressed with his consistency, dedication, and love. He's going to be a great dad for Baby Girl when she arrives!
So blessed and excited for our growing family!!
-K

No comments:
Post a Comment